Monday, January 15, 2018

No fun allowed

In S3A only, if you defeat the Blastoid enemies that are placed directly over the special stage rings in Hydrocity Zone 1, you can actually fall through a hole in the floor directly into the ring's secret room.


For whatever reason, in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, these holes were hastily patched up with invisible collision objects, and as a result, Knuckles can't glide-land or climb up on this ledge properly.


Then again, in S3A you can defeat Blastoids by just walking into them, likely because they don't use the regular enemy collision type. So uh, pick your poison, I guess.

5 comments:

  1. I first learned of this through this video, which does contain other tidbits you could look into: https://youtu.be/W1lvY4qZ6KY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat, I didn't know this was well-known. That Launch Base Zone comparison is pretty amazing though; it's only really doable with input movies and re-recording tools.

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't say it is well-known, I was just reminded of the video when reading this (I'll admit I only remembered the bit where Blastoids can be defeated by walking in S3A for this post).

      Delete
    3. Maybe well-known isn't the best term, but that video has been up since 2014, far before I ever learned of this myself. (I only learned that you can walk into S3A Blastoids in the process of writing the post!)

      Delete